Hello! Hello! Do you know what tomorrow is? Tomorrow is the first of Blogust! I’ll bet you’re shaking your head and saying, “Oh, Cat. It’s pronounced AUGUST.” Well, you’re right and I’m right. August Blogust.
Earlier in July my wonderfully, creative and inspirational friend Yoj wrote on her blog about how she was feeling a lack of creative-anything. I commented saying I totally understood and blame corporate life for this drain. It’s been years since my Muse packed up and left me. She didn’t like the 9-to-5, stifling ways of office life. I don’t blame her. I’d pack up and leave, too, if I didn’t need to work at that office job to pay my bills. So I suggested we somehow blog every day for a month. Challenge ourselves. Yoj thought that sounded like a plan, and although I was sort of joking at the time, the idea stuck with me. I commented back – “August, I dub thee… BLOGUST!”
And from that cheesy conversation, the August blogging challenge was created. Yoj and I have tossed around ideas/topics/prompts for each of the 31 days in August. They will give us something to write about, something to force our creative spirits to kick into action and hopefully, wake up and smell the coffee (bacon? roses? creative inspiration?).
I’m looking forward to dusting off the keyboard and getting the cobwebs out of my brain for this. I’m going to try my best to have fun with it. I might even tie in my photo-a-day challenge from Instagram for August. Of course the photos have nothing to do with the topics, but there is one photo for each day of the month. I have been successful with this challenge since I started it in February (helps that I am obsessed with Instagram!) and I only messed up in June because of my travel to the US and lack of internet connection there. Oops. Let’s see if that success will translate into this blog writing challenge!
These are the daily topics we came up with – feel free to join in, if you still happen to blog (which so many of you no longer do. Sigh. I miss reading blogs.) If you do join in, leave a comment on this post and link us to you blog! I’d love to follow along and see what you might have to say.
- Why do you write?
- Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
- Top 5 pet peeves
- Where do you find inspiration?
- Your favourite comfort foods and why.
- Your favourite summer memorie(s).
- If you could have any job, anywhere in the world, what would it be?
- Your guilty pleasure(s).
- Put your iPod on shuffle, list the first 10 songs that pop up & share why you have them in your music library.
- If you could have one superpower/magical power, what would it be and why?
- 7 interesting facts about you
- Your favourite book(s) and why.
- TV shows you feel were underrated; that you think the world needs to know about.
- How have you changed in the past 3 years?
- Your biggest regret in life.
- If money were no object, list 5 things you’d do.
- List 3 songs that inspire you or are your go-to songs when you need to change your mood.
- Something you miss.
- Stream of consciousness writing. Whatever you want, however long you want, just write as your brain works.
- Comfort food(s).
- What does friendship mean to you?
- Do you think family is defined by blood, or by action?
- What is the oldest piece of clothing you own and still wear?
- What is one thing you are exceptionally bad at?
- Do you believe in fate?
- What social media outlets do you use and why do you use them?
- Are you scared to follow your dreams?
- Post a photo and have your followers write a short story about said photo. Then publish in Sept!
- Interview someone- parent, spouse, bestie, barista. Don’t just ask regular questions, shake it up!
- Pick something absurd off of Pinterest & write about it.
- Why we decided to do Blogust, what we learned, was it fun & are we going to do this shizz in September?
There you have it folks! On your mark! Get set! WRITE!